no more then 15psi???
SRT4Mation.com is the premier Dodge SRT Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Thread: no more then 15psi???

Lurker

no more then 15psi???

I have a neon srt4 with a manual boost controller. Went to turn up the boost a little one day and nothing.. according to the gauge I'm still running only 15psi. Why did it not change?

2. Remove Advertisements
    SRT4Mation.com
    Advertisements

Its been a long time since I messed with a Neon, but are you using the factory WGA with just a Manual Boost controller?

Lurker
    Yeah its a factory wastegate as far as I know. The owner before me said he has ran 18psi max. But I have a buddy running 23 on a stock car. So that's what is trowing me off and the controller is a turboxs. It seems to pull harder but gauge doesn't move from 15. But I'm pulling about 23 vacuum. And have another question. Car is picky about 3rd gear. It will work fine for days. But one day it will decide not to work. I have been told its the shift selector or the linkages. What would be my best bet on that?

5. Remove Advertisements
    SRT4Mation.com
    Advertisements

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by srt4newb View Post
    Yeah its a factory wastegate as far as I know. The owner before me said he has ran 18psi max. But I have a buddy running 23 on a stock car. So that's what is trowing me off and the controller is a turboxs. It seems to pull harder but gauge doesn't move from 15. But I'm pulling about 23 vacuum. And have another question. Car is picky about 3rd gear. It will work fine for days. But one day it will decide not to work. I have been told its the shift selector or the linkages. What would be my best bet on that?
    1st your buddy is an idiot if its "stock". lol.
    2nd...I dont remember much about mbc's and stock wgas. Its been a while. Google it. As for the 3rd gear...its a common problem on these cars. First preventative maint would be to pull up your center console...loosen the bolt on the shifter...put in 3rd gear and then tighten the bolt. You should probably also adjust the clutch pedal by loosening the bolt...pulling the pedal up all the way and then retighten.
    --Chris--

Quote Originally Posted by srt4newb View Post
    Your buddy that is pushing 23lbs out of the factory turbo is either pulling your leg, or looking to blow up the turbo. its both bad for the turbo, and non efficent.

An 18lb spike, bleeding to 14-15 lbs is more then enough to make the car MOVE.

I havent been in the Neon game for a long time "2008", so there has been many many changes when it comes to tuning packages. What I would do is purchase a AGP WGA, and a Halman Manual boost controller. The Halman is bulletproof and is a simple check valve ball and spring type MBC. Set the car to spike at 18lbs and bleed off to 13-15lbs through the RPM band.

Also pick up a Wideband, and a EGT guage to monitor your AFR's and EGT's. These things arent optional, they are mandatory if you choose to increase boost $$400 in guages may save you $3500 in engine work. Also, think about getting a canned tuner box from SCT to optimize the bolt ons.

3rd gear.. I was one of the lucky few. I purchased my car new in 2005 with 5 miles on it. I got rid of it in 2008 with 105k on the clock and never ever had a 3rd gear issue. It is a WELL known problem with the transmission. Also, SRTsum gave some good pointers on how to minimize it.

8. Remove Advertisements
    SRT4Mation.com
    Advertisements

Thread Information