Dodge SRT4 Forums - SRT4mation banner

Paint Stockers? Yes or No. opinion

16K views 53 replies 16 participants last post by  turbotim90 
#1 ·
As title says, debating on doing the how- to on paint stockers.
People who have done it do you like it, is it chipping?
just want some feedback, i have all i need to paint them, and since it's starting to warm up. opinions welcomed:yay:

#2 ·
I rocked painted stockers for 2 years daily driving. Only ever got like 2 small chips on them. Not bad considering. I didn't clear mine properly so they always looked kinda dull. Make sure you clear them good so they stay shiny...other than that good luck. Prep is the most important step. Also don't be lazy...use some sort of card or tape to cover your tires up throughout the process. :thumb:

#3 ·
it's your car, man. but as munky said...if your gonna do it do it right

personally if there is nothing wrong with them, i would leave them alone and get aftermarket. possibly funds will not permit this, but it's all up to you.

#4 ·
i got painted stockers along with almost everyone else on here :rofl: . my cars silver and i did my rims gunmetal and i love the way they look. i have aftermarket rims and my painted stockers. like everyone says the prep works worth it in the end or they will turn out like crap. best bet is buy a sanding pad (they sell em at home depot and walmart etc) and scuff the rims up just to get the clear off kinda so the paint will stick good. then clean them up real good. i used index cards around the bead of the rim n tire so you dont get overspray and mine turned out good. goodluck

#6 ·
Yeah a scuff pad is what I used. Works much better cause it contours to the face of the rim nicer around the edges and so forth. I only used actual sandpaper where I had curbed one of my rims. Sanded it slowly until it was nice and smooth again without taking too much off to the point where you could tell I had curbed it. Good luck with them.

#11 ·
i have the sandpaper sheets, but i have the pads lying around, im sure if i fit it around the foam pad it will work just as well. Now i was never one with understanding the pianting process, (sanding part) so i lightly scuff the surface to strip the clear off now, then spray a light coat of black, sand lightly again then spray etc. 3 coats of black, now with clear coat do i lightly sand again i have read the how to- so dont post the link. lol how long did you guys wait after your last clear coat to put your rims back on. end of day let them cure overnight on the car or what? obviously dont drive on them.
thinking of doing wednesday since we suppose to get 55 deg.
yea id like to buy aftermarket but buying the exhaust then the s2 then a gsxR 750 kinda put me back a little. fuck my passion to buy things that go fast and make things go faster. :p anyway keep the opinions coming and advices, much appreciated.

#12 ·
i dont think you have to sand between each coat. the paint should stick to the other layers of paint just fine. i'm pretty sure you just gotta get most of the clear off of the wheel, then begin painting. i'd say paint them and let them sit overnight. They will be good to go in the morning. If you could paint it in the morning and let them sit all day, that may be better conditions to allow them to cure.

#13 ·
sweet, now if i wasnt so lazy with the sanding when it came time to painting my gsxR mayb it would of came out better lol.
Thanks alot for the help guys

#15 ·
^im with him. i have 17x7.5 or w.e they are with 225 dr's. and then my gunmetal stockers. scuff up the rims once clean them real good then do like 3 light coats letting them dry inbetween and then like 2 coats of clear and id say let them sit in the sun as long as possible. this isnt a great time of the year to do this. i did mine in the summer and they dry alot faster obviously

#17 ·
it's suppose to be 55 to 60 degrees wednesday thats when i was planning on painting them, and thursday suppose to be 55 as well, good or bad to paint them those days. shouldnt be humid at all either.

#20 ·
finished the rims yesterday around 5. have been letting them sit all night and day and will not be driving on them till tomorrow, just paranoid that it will chip n flake away lol. but i'll get pictures up tomorrow when theres some light. would like some opinions if you would.

i have to get new lug nuts so dont make fun lol. again i'll post more tomorrow.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.